«
»

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Super Scouter

Today was Scout day. Our bishop decided that we should honor this day, which means that the scouts and scout leaders should have (italics added for emphasis) worn their uniforms to church. We also decided that if the youth wore their uniforms, they probably shouldn't pass the sacrament (normally they wear white shirts).

So, I went to my meetings before church and of course everyone made their comments about me being in a scout uniform. Let me just say that the young men that I work with aren't super excited about scouting. Most of them would rather play basketball then, well, just about everything, including camping, tying knots, learning CPR, etc. I guess that's why we get the best attendence around this time of year since basketball season is going and they have to show up to find out when the games are.

Well, let's just get to the end of the story. As the bishop said, "we would like to recognize scouting and all it does for our youth and you'll notice a few people with uniforms on for Scout day," everyone looked around and it was me and two cub scouts. That's right, everyone else in a suit or shirt and tie, and there's me, with my scout shirt and neckerchief. I guess only the coolest people got the memo. Anyway, I got a good laugh about it. I think that there was a conspiracy to the effect of, "hey, let's all not wear our uniforms just so everyone thinks Brother Waye is crazy!" Well, here's to scouting!

7 comments:

Todd said...

We already know Brother Waye was crazy, but it never hurts to immortalize it on the internet with a nicely incriminating picture that I just might need to put on the ol' hard drive for safe keeping (or future use, if you know what I mean).
Seriously though, I am happy to use Scout day to pay tribute to your dedication. I really enjoyed working with you and appreciated your friendship and leadership. The boys will get it later (at least that's what we keep telling ourselves right?).

Scott said...

Scot. I really apologize that I wasn't there in my uniform with you. You do have to understand that it was my turn to stay home with the sick kids. That it happened on Scout Sunday was out of my hands, although I do see it as a blessing.

Courtney said...

haha.. you are my hero!

Suzy said...

I'm surprised Becca let you out of the house like that. I mean, so women wouldn't be clawing at you as you walked around the church parking lot, etc. Everyone loves a guy in uniform, right? My dad was proud of you for wearing your getup. He said, "I don't think I saw anyone wearing their scout shirt, but Scot."

Anonymous said...

What can I say, chicks dig the sash. :)

Tiffany said...

Haha, that story is so funny! I could only imagine you sitting there all spiffied up in your outfit.

Anonymous said...

I was a little embarrassed to have to sit next to the guy in the Scout uniform, but I guess it was worth the sacrifice, since Brother Cutchen thought it was cool.