«
»

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Food Friday

I found this recipe in the Austin American-Statesman. I think that this is the first time that I've been excited to make anything that is vegetarian. Ok, my enchiladas are vegetarian and the beans and rice are as well if you leave out the bacon, but you get the idea. The falafel(s?) turned out really well and tasted really good. We ended up using three on a pita because they grew a little bit while cooking (because of the flour and baking soda?).

We don't have a food processor, so it made the blending a little more difficult. We have a magic bullet, a bosh mixer with a blender attachement, and a mini-chopper (you can chop about the equivalent of an onion in it). The magic bullet and blender didn't really work because the mixture was too dry to get it to rotate, so I had to use the mini-chopper a few times and add the baking powder and flour by hand.

Falafel

1 cup dried chickpeas (I used 1 can of garbanzo beans)
1/2 large onion, roughly chopped
2 Tbsp. fresh parsley
2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. hot red pepper
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. baking powder
4-6 Tbsp. flour

Soak chickpeas overnight in enough water to cover them (skip if using canned). Drain (fresh or canned). Put first 8 ingredients (down to cumin) in a food processor and blend (but not pureed). Mix in baking powder and flour. Enough flour needs to be added so that the dough forms a ball and isn't sticky on your hands. I found that with the canned chickpeas, I needed 6+ Tbsp. of flour (I think the can is a little more than the amount called for). Turn into bowl and cool in fridge for a few hours (so that the flavors blend). Make balls about the size of walnuts or use a cookie scooper (it was great!) and cook in 375 degree oil for a couple of minutes until dark brown. Squish on pita and add lettuce, tomato, onions, cucumber sauce (6 oz. plain yogurt, 1/2 cucumber finely chopped, 1 Tbsp. dill weed, 1 Tbsp. mayonaisse), or tahini sauce. I made 10 falafel balls. I think that you can change flavors by replacing the cilatro and parsley with other things like roasted red peppers and other spices/vegetables. Good luck and Καλή όρεξη! בתיאבון & بالهناء والشفاء (bon appetit in greek, arabic, and hebrew).

0 comments: