Walnut Creek is one of my very favortie mountain biking locations. Part of it is due to the fact that it is only 10 minutes away, but it also has easy to pretty extreme technical features. If you want speed, you can find it. If you want jumps, you can find them. If you want a whoop-de-doo pit, you got it. If you want rocks, roots, drops, heart-pumping climbs, tight spots between two trees, you have them all. The Austin Ridge Riders have done a really good job developing and maintaining the trails. Today, I went with my friend Scott for a ride and decided to go on some trails that we've never been on. That's the other thing I like - I've ridden there many times and there are still trails I haven't been on or only have traveled in one direction. We rode for about an hour and a half, found two geocaches along the way, and depending on who you believe, went 5.7, 6.5, or 6.6 miles. My GPS said 5.7, Scott's bike computer said 6.5, and my computer said 6.6. I don't really know which one to believe. I also don't remember if I started the GPS at the same time as my computer (I rode up to the bathroom before I started my GPS and can't remember if I reset my computer). Anyway, here is the route we took today and the profile.
Monday, May 26, 2008
Walnut Creek Ride
Posted by Scot at 9:50 AM
Labels: Geocaching, GPS, MTB
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Right on Scott!
I sure do miss Walnut Creek. I love to hear about the trips down there and I especially love the map of your route. Can't beat that.
There's a cool downhill trail that I just learned about called, "The Bobsled" you can see video of it here:http://video.aol.com/video-detail/bobsled-bike-trail/3352450492
I would sure love to run that with your elevation tracker.
Or even better, the roller-coaster in SLC (three successive, very steep, hard-packed trails).
Correction. I believe Scot's GPS said we went 41 miles at first. I like that number in comparison to riding for an hour and a half!
Post a Comment