«
»

Friday, June 13, 2008

Food Friday

After a month of hiatus (and 3 weeks of being in some state of being sick), I'm back with a Food Friday. We have been looking for a good sesame chicken recipe. This one was a grilled chicken . We decided to boil and thicken the sauce, but maybe next time we will cook it in a pan. The marinade [6 chicken breasts] had soy sauce [1/2 c.], sugar [1 T.], sesame seeds [2 T.], garlic [2 minced cloves], ginger [1 t.], water [1/4 c.], olive oil [1/2 c.], ground red pepper [1/8 t.], and chopped onion [1/4 c.]. It marinated overnight. It was pretty good, but I think that if you cooked the chicken in a pan, you could skip the oil in the marinade and then just add a tablespoon or two before you dumped in the pieces. So, the verdict is still out on how to make it exactly, but it had the right flavor.
.

.
We also had this lemon garlic shrimp with vegetables that I was a little skeptical about, but actually liked quite a bit. It was fresh, bright, light, and a good, tasty summer dish. We served it with fettucine with butter and parmesean. You can find the recipe here.
.
Our families have always had ambitions of compiling family recipes and share the really good new recipes that we find, make, and enjoy. My youngest sister made a cookbook of our basic family recipes that we all have used well. I think my parents set up a website once in hopes that we could communicate that way.
.
So, http://www.relativerecipes.blogspot.com/ is our next attempt at the project. Blogging seems to have taken pretty well, so we decided to start a blog for recipes. I think that we were working out some kinks in "beta" version, but now are almost ready to add permissions for all of our sisters. We'll just add recipes when we make them so it's not so overwhelming to try to add a bunch at once. By good categorizing, we hope that we can select certain ones and print cookbooks (http://www.blurb.com/) if we want - like Waye Family Recipes or Christensen Sisters Suppers, or whatever each person wants (that's what the categories are for). Of course, we realize that populating the recipes will probably take months to years, but that's fine. Slow and steady wins the race.

1 comments:

Cody Fielding said...

This post reminds me of the time we spent together on our missions. I was always impressed with your culinary skills (compared to my lack thereof).

How are you? Mucho tiempo sin hablar. I'm glad you found my wife's blog. I was actually thinking about you the other day, wondering how I could get your contact info.

Yes, we are in your native land -- New Mexico. I'm working in Intel's finance dept. We're enjoying the great weather.