«
»

Monday, January 21, 2008

Beans, beans, the magical fruit

Today, we made one of the cheapest, yet yummiest meals. Beans and rice. "What?" you say. My mom usually made beans at least once a month. She would make a big batch and then use the extra beans for other meals (refry for burritos, tostadas, etc.). These aren't just ordinary beans. They have bacon (everyone knows everything is better with bacon).

On to the recipe. A few notes - this isn't the greatest recipe because I don't really know the amounts. I did my best to guess. It's one of those recipes that you add or take away stuff depending on how you want it. Plus, after 20 years of making them, I just kind of do it. Don't ask about the time when I was about 10 and my parents were gone all day and I was supposed to stir them but instead watched tv - they burned and not only was that meal ruined, but the subsequent meals as well.

~1# pinto beans (remove any bad beans and rocks and rinse)

Add water to cover the beans. Important! Salt the water heavily (2-3 Tbls.?): as the beans suck in the water, they will also pull in the salt. If you don't do this, the beans will be bland and you can't add enough salt to make them taste good afterwards. Bring to boil (2 minutes). Cover, turn off heat and soak for 1 hr. Drain and add new water to cover the beans, again, heavily salted. If you don't do this, the water you soaked the beans in will give you more gas (I assume that more woman will make this than men, and I'm sure you already have enough gas from your husband/boyfriend/etc.). Bring to a boil and then lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 1 hour. Change the water out again. You don't have to salt it that much now - this is the last water change. The beans will start to be soft and not be so crunchy. Add enough water to just cover the beans. Simmer for another 1/2 hour or so. Add:

1 small onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced (I love garlic, you can use less if you want)
2-3 slices bacon (uncooked), chopped
1-2 8oz. cans tomato sauce (I like 2 but I think my mom uses 1)
Salt and Pepper to taste
opt. ~1 tsp. Cumin (or more to taste)
opt. ~1 Tbls. Oregano

Bring to a boil (the tomato sauce will help thicken the liquid). Simmer for another 1/2 hour or so, or until the beans are tender and the bacon is cooked. Tonight I added the Cumin and Oregano (which I haven't done before). I think this batch was the best that I've made.

Serve on top of rice with cheddar or any cheese you like, sour cream, etc. Bon appetit, or rather, ¡Buen Provecho!

2 comments:

Suzy said...

I'm going to try this as soon as I buy some beans with rocks in them. I have some black beans already. Have you ever tried black beans? Mmm.

Scot said...

I do love black beans, mostly from serving my mission in Guatemala. I've never been able to make them as good as they do.