«
»

Friday, February 15, 2008

Food Fridays

On Monday, I did go try out Little Deli, which was highly recommended online. I would agree. We ordered a mufaletta and a turkey and mozzerella (even though we ended up with a mufaletta and a veggie sandwich because we were discussing it with the guy and then changed our mind at the last minute and he must've still been thinking veggie). They both were actually quite good. I almost never get a veggie sandwich (ok, never), but this one was good and I didn't miss the meat. It had artichoke hearts, grilled eggplant, olives, tomato, avocado, lettuce, etc. Anyway, I'll definitely be back to try their rare roast beef and cheddar, pastrami, and italian sandwiches.

Earlier this week, we made sweet and sour chicken. This is a recipe that has been in my family since my mom learned it at the Ku's school of cooking. They also had a restaraunt that is now gone - so cheap and so good :(. I have made this recipe since college and like to make a lot and have lots of leftovers. Becca says the sauce is, "like candy".

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Cut 3-4 chicken breasts into bite sized cubes

Combine (batter):
2/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
2/3 cup water

Add chicken and fry battered chicken in hot oil (it'll probably take 2-3 batches) until the batter turns a golden brown.

Sauce:
1 1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1 lemon (or 3 Tbls lemon juice)
2/3 cup sugar
8 pinches cherry koolaid (1/2 packet) - no, I'm not kidding on this one
Bring to boil and add a cornstarch mixed with water until thickened (use about 1/2 cup cornstarch and add cold water while stirring until it actually is mixed - you might not need to use all of the mixture)

Serve sauce over chicken over rice. I've found that some fresh pepper is a nice contrast with the sweet and sour.

For Valentine's day, I assisted Becca in making a dish she found online called Spinach & Pancetta Stuffed Shells w/Creamy Asiago Cheese Sauce. It was quite good!

1 comments:

Courtney said...

mm those shells looks so good! and shana and I just had that sweet and sour chicken today, looked the exact same! mmmm, I highly recommend it!