«
»

Friday, February 22, 2008

Food Fridays

Hog Island Deli (1612 Lavaca): We tried the Philly Cheesesteak and the Old Italian Hoagie. The bread was good - tough on the outside and chewy in the middle. You didn't even have to chew the shaved beef in the cheesesteak and with onions and cheese was pretty good. The Italian sandwich had good meat, but was a little overstuffed with lettuce and hard to eat (the tomatoes were on the top of the lettuce, so there was no way to enclose them in the bread). It did have roasted red peppers that were quite good, but there was a hint of balsamic vinegar that could have been omitted. I liked the atmosphere because it seemed like a small neighborhood deli in a big city. The downtown lunch rush was loud and exciting and made you feel the energy of inner-city business.


This week we tried a recipe for raised waffles. They didn't raise so well in the waffle iron, but the starter may have not sat as long as they should have. They tasted really good though, almost like a sourdough waffle. I'll give the recipe out if we get them to raise right next time.






I like my egg salad the same way I like my deviled eggs and the same way I like my potato salad - mustardy and pickley. Of course, the potato salad should have eggs and other stuff like onions, but a copious amount of mustard and some pickle juice always makes or breaks it in my mind. Usually I like my egg salad sandwiches virgin, but that would make for a dull picture, so I added some tomatoes, a pickle slice, and lettuce. After eating it, I think I'll forego the accoutrements next time.

0 comments: