«
»

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Sharp Knives

At my parent's house, there is a drawer full of knives. Dull knives. I remember using all my weight and strength to push a dull chef's knife through cheese. Really, it was just a metal sheet pushed with enough force to create a slice. I got the $25 special set from Wal-mart when I went to school - the type that says you never need to sharpen. Of course you can't because they are somewhat serrated.

When I met Becca, I was introduced to my first Cutco knife. It really wasn't the brand that mattered, but it was sharp and so easy to use. I had heard of the elusive sharp knife before - on the food network, in the dark aisles of the library, from the little bird that flew by, but never really knew that I would live to see the day where I would hold, let alone use, a sharp knife. I enjoy the bliss of cutting through a tomato with a chef's knife (not serrated) and using only the gentle force of gravity tugging the knife downwards. I chop through herbs and mince garlic with ease. I slice super thin roast beef because the blade could hold its edge. And the cheese? Well, I usually just buy it pre-sliced.

1 comments:

Suzy said...

Thank goodness for Cutco! I love them. You only need a few and you're set... and if you can't afford the pre-sliced cheese, they even have a nice cheese knife!