Meet my new toy. It's a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. It's a GPS unit. I have been interested in getting one for sometime now and finally pulled the trigger last week (ok, I had to save up allowance for it). I also got the topographic maps. I'll eventually get the road maps too, but I am mostly going to use this for geocaching and tracking bike rides. I played around with it a little to get used to some of the functions. When I get a track, I can map it on the topo map and even see the elevation profile. Does anyone else out there have a gps and how do you use it? Do I need to get a bike mount or can I just start it and drop it into my camelback?
I loaded a geocache nearby. It was in a park closeby, so Becca, Riley, Bernie, and I went on a walk on our first "treasure hunt". The gps told us that it was in the grove of trees that had some large boulders scattered around, but after looking for about 20 minutes, we gave up. I came back home and looked at some of the clues and I guess it was a harder find than we thought. There was a lot of growth that made it hard to search between the big rocks. Oh, well.
Thursday, May 1, 2008
GPS
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment