Becca reads quite a bit. I used to, but once I started college, reading textbooks and studying took most of the desire to read for fun away. I have tried to read more. I usually go in spurts, mostly around the new year. One year, I read the three books in the Fishers of Men series by Gerald N. Lund. I used to read action fiction, like Clive Cussler, which I liked, but I have decided that if I'm going to read, I want it to make me think a little bit. Maybe it's that I've become accustomed to learning something when I read, like the journal articles that I'm always reading for my research.
Now to the question, or the realization that I've made. Here is a list of the last three books that I have read or that I am reading:
Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond
A Brief History of Time by Steven Hawking
The World is Flat: A Brief History of the Tweny-first Century by Thomas L. Friedman
I have actually really, really enjoyed them, in addition to my subscriptions to National Geographic and Mechanical Engineering. So, I guess if being a nerd is thinking about why different civilizations have become world powers while others have not, space-time singularities and black holes, and how the world is so interconnected, I guess that yes, I must be a nerd. And also write run-on sentences. I think that the next book will be Into the Wild.
Saturday, January 12, 2008
Am I really that much of a nerd?
Posted by Scot at 4:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I guess I'm a nerd too... lately I've been really into books that make me learn about cultures like the Kiterunner, a Thousand Splendid Suns, and The Good Earth. The first two are Afghanistan and the second is China. Anyways, I just read all your posts and I really enjoy your blog, and writing and whatnot! Cool stuff :)
oh yes... and a book about vampires, which is a culture all of its own. And sorry I overuse the ... punctutation, it may be my favorite.
Post a Comment