I love parentheses (who doesn't?). I don't necessarily love over puntuaction in general, like extra !!!, overuse, of, commas or leaving people hanging... But I do love using parentheses. If you know the way I talk (sometimes it bugs Becca to no end how I interrupt [I'm working on it]), which I think I got from my family dynamic (I love it - how sometimes it's not who is talking, but who can talk the loudest and fastest to win the "head of conversation" role for that minute). Anyway, parentheses allow for my ubiquitous tangents (side thoughts that I often verbalize). It allows for a sentence within a sentence (and sometimes a sentence in a sentence in a sentence [like this]). Maybe the love comes from math, where parentheses can get you (4)(3)=12. Isn't it great!? Instead of using 4 x 3, just use (4)(3)! Ok, all of a sudden, that doesn't seem much shorter, but maybe it's because you don't want to confuse the x with an x, like in algebra. I don't even use parentheses that much for other things. I just use it as a clarification to my train of thought. Emoticons, nah :). So, here's to ()!!! ...
Saturday, January 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I had to laugh when you mentioned about the whole interrupting thing. John doesn't like it either but he's gotten over it for the most part. In John's family, it's just who can talk the loudest and man, they are LOUD!
Post a Comment