This week was a pretty busy one. As I get closer to graduating, we have several big projects going on at once - finishing my dissertation, getting a job, selling our house, Becca has a class, and Becca working with her siblings on her late father's estate. Of course, we also have work to do at church, things to do with friends, events we want to attend, and have a some visitors coming to town. Maybe amongst all the craziness, we'll get a call that we've been chosen for adoption again. Probably at the busiest time. But hey, life is fun and we wouldn't complain (ok, try not to complain).
We have hired a realtor to sell our house and we really like him. We've been doing projects around the house. We have done some ourselves and we've contracted others. Just to name a few projects: regrout shower, recarpet family room, stretch upstairs carpet (it had started to buckle in a few spots), powerwash and restain decking, repair crack in brick mortar, put in new kitchen sink and faucet, fix leaky shower faucet, green up the lawn, touch up paint, replace one of the mirrors, install other mirror in room, clean, sort, etc. When I got home from Utah and before Becca got home, I cleared out a lot of the closets (at least all the stuff on the floor and stuff we've stored). We packed a lot of that stuff up and stuck it in the garage, threw out a lot, and gave away some away. So, there's just a few things to keep us busy in the evenings and weekends. If anyone needs a handyman, our realtor recommended one and he has done a great job and we would defintely refer him to you.
Last week, I finished the first complete draft of my dissertation. This week, I'll proof it and add anything I feel that would make it better and then next week it's off to my advisors. I've scheduled my defense for Nov 19th. I graduate (commencement) Dec 6th. Really, I have a Ph.D. when I turn my dissertation and some paperwork in (before Dec 5th).
We're still working on the job situation. I went to the engineering career fair to talk to a few companies and generate a few leads. One emailed me asking for more information the next day, so that's probably a good thing. The career fair had about 400 companies, but I think it's geared more for entry level bachelors to fill certain positions. I don't think they quite knew what to do with me. A lot of the recruiters would talk to you, but in the end refer you to their website for more information and to apply if you wanted to (thanks for wasting 10 minutes of my time!). I've been in contact with the CEO of the company I interviewed with in Ft. Collins and hope to receive an offer soon. I won't say much more about it, but still am hopeful and optimistic that we can get 'er done. I think I find out about a postdoc position I applied for in D.C. at the National Institute of Standards and Technology this week.
Once the job situation is settled, hopefully by mid-October, we can really start planning on the move. Our hope is to move sometime between Dec 8th and the holidays so that we can get settled and then head to Utah for Christmas. I guess that means that sometime in mid-December, it'll be goodbye to Austin and all our friends here. Most likely, it'll also be goodbye to the Texas winter and hello to frozen snot, big coats, and shoveling snow.
Saturday, September 27, 2008
Update
Posted by Scot at 9:36 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
That's so awesome Scot! I'm really excited for you that you finished the first draft, that is big news! And I really want you to end up in Ft. Collins so you are closer to me, and I can come visit more and we can go to UTAH/CSU games! Good luck with everything!
Post a Comment