Wednesday, January 28, 2009
I'm sick of handyman
See this (sorry, I had to take the picture with the webcam because Becca has the good camera)? A 1/4" slit. 1/2 a centimeter. This caused at least 5 gallons of water to go through the walls and into the basement bedroom. Only cost about $300 and a day and half to fix everything. It would have been more if I didn't do the carpet stuff myself.
I went into the bedroom last night to get the baby swing out for when Asher comes home. I heard a drip and looked over and saw water streaming from the top of the window into the room. I ran outside and looked in the window well and saw water streaming from behind the siding outside, running down the outside basement wall, to the window, and inside. I ran and turned off the water main and it stopped. Not bad, but now no water. I used our carpet cleaner to suck up about 3 or 4 gallons of water out of the carpet and then our wet-vac to pull up another 1 to 2 gallons. I pulled the carpet up and the pad was soaked.
I took the day off of work obviously to deal with it. I took off 4 strips of siding on the house to try to locate the leak with no luck. I finally got a plumber to come out and after cutting a hole in the basement bedroom roof, found the leak, a burst pipe that went to the refrigerator ice maker. The plumber actually was really great and I helped him fix it and he charged less than I expected (maybe because since I helped him, it went faster).
I went to Home Depot and got some new carpet padding and adhesive and rented a carpet blower and power stretcher. I laid the new padding, reattached the siding, and the carpet is drying. I hope to re-carpet and stretch it tonight. I guess that saves some money. I feel handy making fixes, but it doesn't mean I like it. Especially when I have to take off a day from work and not get a shower and not even get to use a saw or something.
Posted by Scot at 5:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
you've got mad skills!
Wow I can't believe you know how to do all that stuff! but I guess, knowing you, I can believe it.
Post a Comment